When you do your annual Spring cleaning don’t forget about your bedroom. There are some important cleaning rituals that you should incorporate into your Spring cleaning. It wouldn’t hurt to do these more than once a year, but at least the annual re-occurance of Spring cleaning can be a good reminder.
First start with the items in your bedroom that may send dust into the air and onto your mattress and bedding so you don’t undo all your hard work cleaning them.
• Remove curtains and wash
• Remove any blinds and clean
• Wash windows
• Dust all furniture
• Clean under bed and other furniture and remove any unnecessary, dust-collecting items
• Vacuum bedroom. If able, move furniture so you can vacuum underneath
• Vacuum any cobwebs from walls or ceiling that may have collected over the winter.
Since we spend 1/3 of our lives in bed you should spend a little time cleaning it properly.
• Clean all bedding thoroughly. Wash and dry as warm as the recommended care instructions allow to kill any germs or dust mites. This includes any protectors or mattress pads you have on your bedding as well.
• Throw away any fiber pillows or toppers if they did not have a protector on them. Dust mites and bacteria thrive in these types of items. We recommend using protectors to extend their life or new items each year.
• Sprinkle baking soda on your mattress and let sit for several minutes. Then thoroughly vacuum away.
• If your mattress manufacturer recommends it, rotate and/or flip your mattress.
Put everything back in it’s proper place and enjoy your clean bedroom! You may find yourself sleeping better without any dust or allergens in the room to disrupt your sleep.